Indian Shrimp Curry
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk (if it looks like lard, stir it up, the milk is down below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large, uncooked shrimp peeled & deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, chili powder and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, for a minute.
Add the tomatoes, coconut milk and salt and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
While the curry simmers, cook rice. Add the shrimp and cilantro to the curry, cover with a lid, and simmer for another 4 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice.
Serve on a bed of rice.
Recipe adapted from MediterrAsian.com